Monday 28 November 2011

Music Magazine Article Draft


He’s the exhilarating new kid on the block, wielding just an acoustic guitar, with the world at his feet. Sir Paul McCartney offers him management advice, while Simon Cowell is already offering him a professional recording contract.
Meanwhile, outside Shepherds Bush Empire, thousands of screaming teenage female fans have made clear their feelings for him. But he says he’s not the type to take advantage of the offers of female attention.
“Right now I’m just concentrating on doing what I love, getting my music out. I don’t have plans for anything else. I don’t really go for any of that.”
David Chalk’s “Saving the Hero” became one of the songs of summer 2011, remaining in the charts for 14 weeks running.
Chalk is the real thing – a down-to-earth teen that spent his childhood singing in front of family at Christmas or locked in his room playing his guitar – a present given to him at the age of six from his grandfather, who was also a singer-songwriter.
Inspired by artists such as Ed Sheeran and Coldplay, he’s already made a collaborative EP with the leading lights of the UK grime and rap scene. His songs are influenced by relationships, breakups and the aftermath.
Sir Paul McCartney continuously mentors David, helping him with both the music and personal side of his career.
 “He’s been fantastic”, enthuses David. “His musical knowledge is greater than anyone’s. We keep in contact about once a fortnight, he’d update me on what’s going on, advise me what song to do next and how to do the video.
 “I knew exactly how I wanted every single song to sound”, David explains, “I’d spend about a week writing a song. I’d then perform it a few times at some of my gigs. If it goes well, I record it.”
He now carries out 250 performances a year, so David’s days of slumping on a mate’s sofa playing FIFA are coming to an end.
David Chalk’s new album ‘Reason to Cue the Bass” is out in stores on 11th July.

No comments:

Post a Comment